Monday, April 6, 2009

Terror At Red Wolf Inn

I am the proud new owner of the tape you see to your left. I have been obsessed with this title for years, ever since I was a kid. I would gawk at this cover in the video store for as long as I was allowed. I was always too afraid to rent it, though, because the buffet of human heads and hands was all together too horrifying for me to actually commit to. I'm serious. As much as I love this stuff, I was fairly delicate in the matters of actually wanting to see it. So some twenty years later, I found a copy randomly on ebay, and clicked the buy it now. So for 9.99 plus 3.00 shipping and handling, I can finally watch Terror at Red Wolf Inn in a couple of days when it arrives.

I'm sure to be wholly disappointed - it definitely won't live up to the hype I've created for it - but hopefully it will be at least some cheesy fun - so look for a review sometime soon. I basically just bought it for the cover art, because essentially the box is the movie for me, at least the experience of being terrified came not from actually watching the flick, but by being so appalled at the artwork. To my 12 year old mind, nothing inside the actual tape could be any more appalling than the cover art. Or, it could have been the opposite, the movie itself was so unspeakably horrible because the box was just the beginning. I couldn't decide. I still can't.

Let me tell you just how ingrained in my psyche this movie is. On the way to my parent's house, off the highway there's a Red Roof Inn, or at least there used to be, I think now it's some other motel chain, and even still to this day, when I drive by that motel, I think of the box art to this movie. And when we used to drive by that motel when I was a kid, I always thought horrible things were likely going on inside the very doors of that establishment. I'm thinking cannibalism for the free continental breakfast. And a weird little old lady proprietor like the one in In the Mouth of Madness. So this isn't just a tape that I bought on ebay, it's the end of an era, for lack of better phrasing. It's been a long time coming, and I'll be glad to finally see this fucking thing and get on with my life. But when I drive by that motel, I'll still think about red wolves stalking the corridors and severed heads in the ice machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment